Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

WHY????

I knew it was coming and I actually used to pride myself on being able to answer almost every "why" question to come my way. That was until Carter came along. I swear I hear "why?" a billion times a day. What makes it even more annoying is that half of his questions don't make sense. I have resorted to "just because", "that's the way Heavenly Father made it, you will have to ask him", and "because I'm the mommy and I said so" more times than I ever thought I would. Here are some examples:

Me: What else should we grow in our garden?
Carter: Cucumbers, lots of cucumbers!
Me: OK, we can plant cucumbers.
Carter: Why?

Carter - all right after each other: Why are bees so little and I am big? Why was that bee on the slide? Why does the bee like the slide? Why do bees fly? Is the bee going to come back? (I got this one at least 5 times) Where do bees live? Why do bees make honey for us? Why do they feed honey to their babies? Why can't I fly?

Why is he a dog? ?!?

Me: Carter, please don't shovel the grass.
Carter: Why?
Me: Because it kills the grass.
Carter: Why does it kill the grass? Why do you not want the grass to be killed? Why do you want it to look nice? Why do I play on the grass?

Carter: Why are you reading that magazine? Why does it help you be a better mom? Why do you want to be a better mom? Why don't I have a magazine?

These are all from today, and there are more. This is just a glimpse into the inquisitiveness that has become Carter. I am glad that he wants to learn, but sometimes a girl just needs a break!

A couple other funny notes:

Carter uses the word "amn't" quite frequently and won't believe me that it isn't a word. Example: I amn't ready to go to bed yet.

Carter is terrified of bugs. Not just a little scared, he freaks out. When he saw the aforementioned bee, he started crying, no, wailing, and yelling "oh no, oh, no...". He saw a dead ladybug on the floor the other day and he screamed like a little girl and jumped up on my bed screaming for me to "protect him!". Um, yeah, it was dead. A bug landed on him outside and he freaked out again, running toward the house saying that he wanted to go inside, that the outside was just too full of bugs! I guess I never have to worry about him catching bugs and bringing them inside, right?

5 comments:

Angie Lewis said...

What a funny kid! :) I'm sure Chris will be the same way some day...it seems like most kids are (I taught 1st/2nd grade for 3 years).

We are 3. said...

that is so funny, but understandably very tiresome too! he and joel should hang out because joel is really inquisitive himself! haha

Ivie Family said...

Linda,
Amber and I talk about your funny Carter and Samantha stories all the time! I was dying reading your WHY?? blog, welcome to my life! Lately Ashton lingers on certain subjects such as "What is die?" "Why is it dieded?" "Why doesn't it move if it is dieded?" Any advice on how to tell a 3 year old what death is. I tell him if it is not alive it is dead. "What is alive?"

The Burnetts said...

I just sit here reading and laughing at Carter! What a funny kid! Keeps you busy, huh?! I guess it's just a matter of time until Tay starts asking "why"...I'm sure I'll come to you for advice when she does!

Stewart Family said...

That is so funny! I love all the questions that he comes up with ;o) He and James would have a blast together, they are both very curious :o)