Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Milwaukee at it's finest


That's right. If you aren't aware, Harley is celebrating it's 105th birthday this week. Why 105 you ask? From what I hear, the 100th bombed. They were supposed to have this great performer at the end of it all and when they backed out last minute the only other option was Elton John. Imagine Elton John singing in front of a huge crowd of bikers. Harley had made it a huge surprise so no one knew who it was before the show. Some surprise, right? Anyways, with Harley being based here in Milwaukee there are tens of thousands of bikers here for the celebration. This morning they had a parade/bike ride. We thought the kids would like it and we had friends going, so we got some earplugs and headed down to watch.

Overall, it was interesting. Lots of bikes (7500!). Some tricked out:
I don't think the bike is all that has work done here:This guy is out for blood:A bike for 5? Looks like something out of a Dr. Suess book:
The cops on their Harleys were impressive. There were hundreds here from all over the place with their lights and sirens on.
Most were just plain Harleys though. There were people from all over the world. I saw Argentina, Brazil, UK, Canada and Australia. Australia?!? How much would it cost to ship your Harley here?
My favorite guy was this one:
Tell me that it's not him:.

You know, from the Terminator? Granted he has aged a little, but I am sure that it was him. I actually learned that he is a rider when I was looking for this picture, which just reaffirms my certainty.
The kids got bored pretty quickly so we ended up leaving before it ended. But really, how many Harleys can you look at in one day? I was terrified driving on the freeway today. I so worried about taking one out as I changed lanes. They were everywhere and they don't wear helmets. I made it home without incident, but I will be glad when the cars outnumber the Harleys again.

0 comments: