Pages

Monday, August 11, 2008

Green Thumb

Who knew I had it in me? I planted my first real garden this summer and it has done so well! I have a tomato jungle, cucumbers like nothing else, peas, beans and peppers. I even have a little watermelon growing! It has grown to about 8 inches long since I took this picture last week. I don't know how it will taste, but it is fun to watch. The kids love eating anything out of the garden. Carter gets so excited; whenever we pick anything he asks "can we eat it now?". He loves showing it off to anyone who will look at it and is so proud of it. I have a huge pear tomato plant and whenever I pick them Samantha will get into the bowl and eat them while I am picking the rest of the garden.

My parents have a HUGE garden. This little strip pales in comparison, but I do hope that I am instilling in my kids an understanding of where food really comes from and how hard people have to work to get it to us. Although I hate to admit it, I really did learn a lot from the weeding and watering that I did as a kid.


This is one of my tomato plants. It's taller than me. Nuts, right?
I can't wait until next year when my raspberries, strawberries and blueberries start producing!
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Your garden looks so awesome! Since we only have an apartment I can only plant a couple of tomato plants in containers. I can't wait until we get a yard so I can plant a huge garden. I am totally addicted.