Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

My son, the exception.

I have been reading Love and Logic, trying to get some fresh parenting ideas for Carter. This book is all about natural consequences, just letting kids learn from their mistakes. There is one specific example they give about kids not keeping up with parents in the grocery store. He suggests that you just keep going, and then keep an eye on your kid where they can't see you until they freak out because they are alone and they learn to keep up. Sounds easy enough, right? So we are out shopping today, and I can't get Carter to keep up with me for anything, so I just go down the next isle. I waited for a minute for him to realize that I was gone, and when I didn't hear anything I went to check on him. A lady comes up to me and asks "is that your son outside? He's got me a little bit worried!" That's right, he just left. So I go grab Samantha and go the rest of the way down the next isle to grab him and he is gone by the time I get there. I looked outside, and right as I am about to freak out, I see him up on a shelf behind some boxes, just hiding (he will tell you, he's a really good hider). Anyways, I guess that theory was shot down today. Needless to say, he rode in the cart for the rest of the trip and was not happy about it. He said he really just didn't want to be in that store with me. What a stinker. Anyone want a sassy 3 year-old?

3 comments:

josieposie said...

About a year ago we were in Ikea, a store that a kid could easily get lost in, and I turn around and Ethan isn't there. I was freaking out. He is usually really good about staying close to me. I guess he had wandered off and some Ikea worker found him and was taking him to the floor manager. I saw him across the room balling because he had no idea who this guy was taking him somewhere he didn't want to be. I felt so sorry for him. But, it taught him the lesson this book is referencing. Now, every time we go in a store, if I get more than 10 feet from him, or if I'm behind a display at the grocery store and he can't see me, he starts screaming MOM! Which is really annoying because I'm standing right there, but at least he is aware. And if he starts to forget and wander off I always have the Ikea story to remind him of and he is right back next to me.

Stewart Family said...

Don't you just love your three year old. I think James jumped past terrible 2's and is going for horrible 3's. Maybe we could go in together and sell two for the price of one? :o)

Sarah L. said...

That is so funny. You are just going to have to be very consistant with him. I did that with Asher and it stuck, all I have to say is, "Do you remember when you got lost?" and he will stay with me. Good Luck. I have plenty of days that I wouldn't mind selling my kids either :)