Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it.

I just finished watching "Out of Gas: We Were Warned" on CNN. HUGE mistake. I so easily fall into the doomsday-end of the world thinking. It was all about what could possibly happen if we ran out of oil. It had a scenario set in September of next year. Houston is hit by a huge hurricane and all the refineries are severely damaged. Two days later, Al Qaeda hits some huge oil pipeline in the middle east and the oil fields in Saudi Arabia. No gas means no groceries, no travel, nothing. They were going on and on about how the earth can't possibly sustain the amount of oil we need. It's amazing how much oil affects everything we do. I started thinking Mike could bike it to work if necessary, but wait, if people can't buy groceries, they aren't shopping at Kohl's either. We would lose our house, because no one else would be hiring. Then I am thinking about our lack of food storage and just our general lack of preparedness. It spirals downward from there - I imagine telling Carter and Samantha that there is no more food and I tear up. Anyways, you get the picture. Am I nuts or what? I talk to Mike about it, and he says "Oh, we'd be fine. But we should get a gun." What kind of preparedness plan is that?!? We can shoot the rabbits out back? Anyways, I am hoping that if I can get this off my chest, I can sleep tonight without the vision of my starving children in my head. I do know that I could do better, be more self-sufficient, and I am trying. Doesn't that count for anything? I miss the days when I knew I could depend on my parent's plentiful pantry to carry us through whatever. It's hard to have to be responsible all the time!

3 comments:

Sarah L. said...

I remember one day I was feeding Asher and the thought came into my head, "what if you had no food due to your lack of preparation and you couldn't feed Asher" That is when I went all crazy with food storage and 72 hour kits and all that stuff. It is actually so fun to collect food. But yeah, now is the time to get the food. Did you know that around here you can't get rice now? They are out of rice!! whatever. k-bye

Stewart Family said...

I totally understand that feeling. I am the same way. Things can totally get me in a doom and gloom mood. It is so scary to be in charge!! Good reminder that we should be getting things ready for emergency!!

On a happier note, James love Carter. He asks about him almost everyday. The other day we were going to play at the park and he wanted his "big boy Carter" to come too. It is very cute.

Sarah said...

So our friends told us this story how President Hinckley stopped by a family wedding of theirs and asked the parents, of either the bride or groom, what they plan to do now that they are empty nesters? They stated that they were planning on traveling and working on the house or whatever. President Hinkley's responsed by saying that he thought they should really focus on food storage because there are going to be rough times ahead.

After that story I go to the cannery each month with our ward and it has really made me realize how important food storage is.