Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Nauvoo

We braved the July heat and headed back down to Nauvoo for a little family time with Mike’s family this last month.  We rented a big house (with a big air conditioner), which was perfect for all of us.   We were right on the river – we had an amazing view: DSC_0413 Since we have already been to Nauvoo we didn’t feel a lot of pressure to go out in the heat to see everything, which was nice.  We went to the pageant and played some of the games before it started.  Carter and Samantha won the tug of war (although I’m pretty sure it was with a little assistance from the ref). DSC_0418 I somehow got suckered into pulling them around in the cart.  It’s always something with these kids – “I want to ride in the stroller!”  “I want to ride in the handcart!”  They wouldn’t have made very good pioneers.DSC_0421 We also hit up the temple, but mostly, we just hung out in the cold cold house (thanks Jim!) and visited with family.  The kids had a blast with their cousins (other than the incident where Carter and Samantha snuck into their room and rifled through all of their belongings – luckily they are forgiving). 

Have you tried to get 10 kids to look at the camera and look happy?  I think they were happy.  Except maybe the babies.  It was naptime. DSC_0427On the way out of town, we caught a quick oxen ride.  We came close to having an awesome adventure when one of the oxen was bitten by the biggest horsefly I have ever seen.  But those cute old missionaries know what they are doing and kept everything under control. DSC_0442  DSC_0439 If you are thinking about going to Nauvoo, I would recommend not going in July. Or any other summer month for that matter.  It is insanely hot and humid.  Seriously.  The pageant is nice, but it has to be on YouTube somewhere.  Go in the winter.  You will probably miss out on the shaved ice stand next to Duck’s Market (my own personal highlight), but I think it’s worth the sacrifice. 

2 comments:

Forster pack said...

What a fun adventure! You would make GREAT pioneers. :)

Christine Chaplin said...

Ugh . . . can I send you another family picture. I look horrid!