Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

Something in the oven...

I found this wall hanging the other day that said "Somewhere inside me there is a skinny girl trying to come out. I usually shut her up with cookies." This holds a lot more truth for me lately than it should. I think I know where the "bun in the oven" expression came from, I have been baking up a storm lately. It all started when I made these bad boys:

Um, heaven! They are pretty much homemade Nutter Butters. I made them for a ward BBQ a while back and haven't been able to stop thinking about them. I got the recipe here. If you haven't heard of ourbestbites.com yet, you are seriously missing out. I have made a number of recipes from their website and not one has failed to be absolutely delicious. And they are witty. And they take great pictures of their food.


Next up, their homemade scones. These aren't the Utah "scones", which I think are really sopapillas, but that's another discussion. These are tea time scones. I can't believe it took me so long to discover my love of scones. They have to be one of the best baked goods ever. The cook at my old job made raspberry white chocolate scones. I think I know why I was a little heavier when I left that job. Here is how to make the ones I made. We had them with strawberry freezer jam and they were all gone that day.


While I was in Utah, my sister got me a little treat, a carrot cake cookie sandwich with cream cheese frosting in the middle. I am on a mission to find that recipe. I tried this one, but it's just not the same. I thought at first they were ruined, but they actually worked out and were much better the second day.


And this week blueberries finally went on sale and this morning we had Martha's blueberry buttermilk scones. Not as sweet as the scones earlier, but absolutely fabulous! All I know is that this needs to end or else I am looking at delivering a 10 pound ball of butter. Somehow I don't think my 30 minute walk on the treadmill each morning is going to offset the extra calories. I'm going to go eat a cookie now...

3 comments:

The Burnetts said...

a girl after my own heart...cookies double as a breakfast food, right?! They do around here!

Linda said...

Well, if they have oatmeal and/or some sort of fruit (raisins, etc), than I am pretty sure that they are meant to be a breakfast food:).

Jessica said...

MMMM I love those peanut butter cookies...mmmmmaaahhhahhmmmmahhhhahhhh (think homer drooling)I may have to make some this week.