Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Hooray for Spring!

I am always so anxious to get my garden going in the spring. I am used to Utah weather where you can start planting in April. Out here, the rule of thumb is to wait until Memorial Day to be sure that the last chance of frost is gone. Mike convinced me that this is supposed to be a super warm May and it would be OK to plant early this year - he gets some pretty extended weather reports at work due to the fact that sales are in large part driven by the weather (as I am writing this, all of my plants are covered to protect them from tonight's possible frost, dang him).
Anyways, frost or not, I spent all day yesterday in the dirt and got it all in! I was most excited about the veggies, but planted some flowers for fun. The flowers are much more photogenic :).

This is my very favorite part of the garden, the herbs. You really can't beat fresh basil, thyme, rosemary and oregano. Not much to look at, but they smell absolutely divine!
I also planted asparagus, tons of tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumbers, corn, peas, lettuce and green onions. Now I just have to wait for them to grow!
On another note, when did I become so domestic? I was talking to my sister about my garden the other day and she was telling me how she was jealous of my garden. Seriously? I am trying to imagine us having this conversation in high school and it makes me laugh. My parents have a massive garden and we rarely bought produce at the store. They also grind their own wheat. Growing up I would have never guessed that would be me in a million years. Look at me now. I now grind my own wheat, bottle/can my own jam and salsa, make my own mozzerella, and am actually really looking forward to canning my own applesauce this fall. Thanks Mom and Dad!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous flowers! And hooray for not paying $2.99 for 3 leaves of basil!

S-T.E.C.H. said...

WOW!! All you need to do is start making your own clothes and the title "supermom" will be yours!!! I am AMAZED at your gardening ambitions...and you grind your own wheat!! You are awesome!!!