Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2007

What were we thinking?

So we may be in a little over our heads with our new house. We closed on Friday. I think it's a bad omen when you lose the keys to your new house within 1 hour of gaining ownership of it. Mike and I went from the closing to Sam's club to pick up a couple of things and by the time we left Sam's Club, no keys. We both went back to the closing agent's office separately and checked the parking lot and I went back to Sam's to look there. I retraced my steps, tore apart a lazy boy that I had sat in, thinking that they had fallen in there, and asked everyone I could think to ask. Still no keys. Mike went to the new place thinking we could call a locksmith, but what locksmith is going to let some guy into a house with a big "For Sale" sign out front and no proof of purchase (all the paperwork was in my car)? Anyways, Mike went back to Sam's Club on his way home just to check one more time and it turns out that 5 minutes after I had left, someone turned them in. Hallelujah! Mike was very understanding, but I could tell that he was pretty upset with me. Sorry.... So that was one day that we had planned on doing some work down the drain.
We tried again on Saturday. Right now we are just trying to get everything ready to paint. This includes taking down wallpaper from one room. That part actually went pretty well. It came off really easily and there was only one layer. In getting water to spray the wall with, we realized that the water upstairs had been turned off not only while no one was living there while the house was on the market like we thought, but probably for the last decade. We got a small trickle of water out of the kitchen faucet, but that was it. It looks like we will be calling the plumber.
Anyways, after the wallpaper the kids were cranky and ready to go. Plus, it was snowing and we had to get back here to take care of the snow here (Mike will take care of the snow there tomorrow after work). What a mess! We had planned to work all day there. Between apartment stuff, home improvement projects and church stuff, I kind of feel like crying. I really think I will never be caught up. Luckily, things will get better. I haven't been released from YW president yet, but I know they found my replacement today, so hopefully next week (good luck to you, you know who...). And, I did my last apartment check-out today, which means that I will be doing my last check-in tomorrow. Just a few more weeks! I can't wait to be done, but really don't want to actually go through the process of moving. Oh well. Someone wise once said, "you do what you have to do, so you can do what you want to do". That would be Denzel Washington on Oprah the other day. Wise and good looking. What a package :).

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting article. Last week I finally got a locksmith to come over and get the lock open. It turns out the keys the previous owner gave me, the key that was supposed to open that particular lock didn't match. The locksmith said it was difinitely the wrong key. I took a closer look at the door and it was a little cracked on the side plus the locksmith said the lock wasn't of the same series as the other locks in the apartment. The rest of the locks in the apartment was silver color while the odd one out without the key was gold in color. I think what most likely happened was the tenant of the previous owner, at one time or another, probably got himself locked out of the room and broke the lock, hence the damaged door side. After that, the guy replaced it with an identical lock... only he forgot to return the new key to the previous owner. That so pissed me of. I spend a few hours trying to get the lock open. I even sprayed it full of WD-40 to lubricate it.