Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Here is another fine example of how far I have come with my holiday celebration. When I was little, I was always the kid who forgot to wear green. The teacher always had the stickers for me, but not before I got pinched a few times. Needless to say, I have never been a big fan of this holiday. Of course, that all changes with kids. I had no idea Carter would be so excited about St. Patrick's Day. They must have talked it up in school because he came home yesterday talking about nothing but catching a leprechaun. He talked to me all afternoon about it and then when Mike got home he told him all about his plan. It was really quite detailed. Here is a gist. He and Mike were going to make a leprechaun catching machine. First they had to make an invisible machine though, so they could make the catching machine invisible. Once they caught the leprechaun (after being super shmooper sneaky) they would guard the leprechaun while Samantha and I went looking for his gold. It is always at the end of the rainbow, but sometimes he buries it. So, we need to make sure to bring a shovel and a screen so we could see underground (something similar to a ground x-ray). There was talk of beating up the leprechaun to get his gold, but we helped him decide that probably wasn't a good idea. In spite of our well laid plans and vigilance, that sneaky leprechaun still got in and turned the milk and eggs green! He did drop some of his gold as he was leaving. Apparently his gold is the chocolate kind. Yum.
Carter had a blast at school, apparently the leprechaun was there as well, getting into trouble. He put chairs on the table and knocked one of them over with his magic! He also left little trinkets for the kids.

I really wanted to try some Irish food for dinner, but couldn't bring myself to do the corned beef and cabbage. I found this recipe for Irish bacon and potato soup which turned out really good! It does have leeks and celery for green, but the whole thing was inadvertently turned green due to the green milk. I also made Irish soda bread. It didn't look as good as Martha's, but what can you expect for my first time? It was pretty good still warm, not so great for leftovers.

Overall, a fun day.

Oh, and did I mention Carter gets his cast off the day after tomorrow? Yeah!
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Kristi said...

Hey, it looks like we had a very similar St. Patty's Day! I'm telling you, you guys should move closer. What's the hold up?