Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Wish us luck!

Carter is going down to the OR in a few minutes. They still aren't sure whether they have to go in and insert rods or just put him in a spica cast. You don't know what a spica cast is? I am pretty sure that spica stands for Super big Parental Inconvenience Cast Apparatus. I know it helps him heal and if it's what they decide to do, we will live with it. It is basically a cast that starts around the belly and goes down at least partway on his good leg and at least to the ankle of his good one. It has a hole cut out for his business. Think about that for a minute. On the other hand, I don't want to have him have surgery either, so it sucks either way. However, with the surgery, it's just crutches instead of immobility for the next 4-6 weeks. But then they have to go back in in 6 months and take them back out. I guess it's a good thing the decision isn't mine. Either way he will be put under, which will be so good for him. He has been so brave, even though he doesn't think so, because he cries sometimes. We have had to move him around a little bit for diaper changes and positioning and the poor guy just cries for us to stop. He cries for me to make them stop as I am helping. It is breaking my heart. Hopefully he will have more stability after today and it won't hurt as much.

The nurses all love him, because even in all this pain, his personality still shines through. Yesterday as we were moving him, he was crying out "'Help me, help me, ayudenme, help me!" It was hard not to laugh a little. He's always informing people that the X-ray showed that his leg is broken and showing them with his fingers. He hates his IV and the traction, so hopefully he will be able to go home today.

5 comments:

Kat said...

Wow, I am so so sorry you are going through this! What a terrible freak accident. I will be thinking of you and him today.

Angie Lewis said...

Good luck with everything. I feel so bad for all of you! Keep us posted!

Nicki said...

Keep us in the know! I hope it all goes well with surgery! I'm not sure what to hope for...good thing the doctors can make that call. Surgery and rods and repeat surgery sounds like no fun. Immobility sounds like a really hard 4-6 weeks...we're thinking of you guys.

Jessica said...

Hey Linda, I hope everything went well today. I haven't been able to stop thinking about Carter for the past three days. And I hope you are doing ok..if you get overwhelmed I'm so close and so happy to help out. Please call us!

Miriam said...

Oh my goodness that is heartbreaking! I hope it all goes well. What a brave little guy. good luck with all of the recovery too.