Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Carter meet spica, spica, Carter.

Here it is in all it's glory:
There is waterproofing tape all around the hole for his little booty and then a diaper slips inside. That's right. The boy that I spent over 1 year potty training is back in diapers. I am hoping once we get home and his diarrhea is gone (TMI, I know) we will be able to get him to the bathroom, although I have absolutely no idea how. That's alright, though because I have 7 weeks to figure it out. That's right, 7 weeks of this. 7 stinky weeks of carrying him around. We did get a special car seat for him and a wheel chair, so we can leave the house if we ever want to inflict that upon ourselves. I don't see that happening for a while.
As much as I hate the cast, I love that it has made Carter feel so much better. The first time they had to move him after they put it on he started crying, anticipating the pain. Then when they moved him, he said in his high-pitched voice "Wow, that didn't even hurt!". It was a relief. He still dreads being moved, but he's getting better. He is definitely getting back to his old self, posing for the camera and making funny faces. And yes, that cast does go all the way up to his little boy boobs. Anyways, it all seems incredibly overwhelming right now, but I am sure we will adjust. It's like God is telling me that I should have gained more patience when he sent the little trials, because it seems like they keep getting bigger. Maybe this time I will learn. Probably not.
Little Samantha rubbing Carter's head trying to make him feel better:
I am overwhelmed and grateful for everyone who has expressed concern, offered to help, babysat Samantha, and visited Carter. Thank you! It really means a lot, especially when we are so far from our families.

8 comments:

Kristi said...

My friend's daughter had to have hip surgery, and she was in a spica cast for a long time. If you are on my blog, you can click on the Hickman Family. They posted some pretty helpful stuff about the cast when their daughter had it. Good luck to you guys! I still can't believe that happened and the hell you guys have been through. Our prayers are with you!

Jodee Luke said...

David had a full cast like that for a long time when he was little. We're thinking and praying for you!

Sarah L. said...

Wow. I don't know what to say. The poor little guy. The cast will slow him down for a while:) The great part about it is that the cast is red. I love it. If we were there I would ask to sign the cast:)

We are 3. said...

You guys are all troopers!! Good luck getting home and keep us updated on his progress and your sanity! :)

Jessica said...

"wow, that didn't even hurt" Made me tear up! He is really such a trooper, I love the monkey pose. I'm so glad he is feeling better and can't wait to come and visit you guys at home. Tell Carter we love him!

Ruth said...

Poor Carter! It must be even harder to deal with something like this when he's so young. Good luck with everything. At least he isnt in as much pain anymore!

Kat said...

Wow, I can't even imagine. The good thing is that you are available to be with him and go through this toghether. Even though that sounds bad, I look at my situation with daycare and babysitters while I work, I don't know how I would do it. I am thinking of you all.

Manda L. said...

OH Chaplins We are so sorry. We are thinking of you and sending prayers your way that this shall pass quickly and with out any mental breakdowns!!