Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

There's a first time for everything

And yesterday was my first time getting stitches! For anyone who knows me and my coordination you know it was just a matter of time.
My nice neighbor asked if we would like to borrow his hedge trimmers - I tried to imagine that he wasn't commenting on how crazily overgrown our bushes are. He's trying to sell his house, I can't blame him. Anyways, as I am not one to wait around when there are new power tools around, I got to work once Samantha was down for a nap. Carter was hanging out with me, asking questions and talking about random things. I was distracted and somehow instead of my left hand being on the handle when I started them up it was on the blade. It felt more like a shock at first and then I saw the gouges in my fingers. I ran inside and ran it under the cold water as I tried to calm down and figure out who to call. I tried Mike, but he wasn't at his desk. I left a frantic message for him to call me ASAP - he later told me that he thought his mom had died. Mental note, be more specific next time. Anyways, I got a hold of my friend Nicki and took the kids there before I took myself to the insta-care for stitches. The doctor told me that as hedge trimmer injuries go, mine was pretty mild. I ended up with 3 stitches each on my ring finger and my middle finger. It is incredibly tempting to post pictures, but I think one of the stitches slipped, so there is still a pretty good size opening where you can see more that you really want to, so you are just going to have to use your imagination.
Mike was impressed that I was able to get everything taken care of without his help. He finally got out of his meeting and returned my call after I got home.
This whole incident has led to a number of funny conversations with Carter. Here are a few excerpts:

"Mom, can I see your hand again?"
"You should be careful not to show anyone except us your owie. Other people might think it was gross."
"Can I see your hand again?"
"Who is going to the doctor with you? You will get so lonely at the doctor's by yourself, maybe we should go with you." (he doesn't know that Mommy doesn't get lonely much)
"Maybe girls shouldn't use hedge trimmers. Some girls are careful and they can use them, but some girls like you aren't careful and they shouldn't use them. Maybe we should just have Daddy trim the bushes now."
"Can I see your hand again?"

2 comments:

Angie Lewis said...

Ouch! Maybe Carter has a point though...I'd suggest leaving the trimming to Mike. Hope your hand gets better soon!

Manda L. said...

I am so cracking up right now. He is such a funny little kid. I am also loving your mental note, because I am not one much for details either. I can totally see me doing that.