Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2008

I've held my tounge long enough...

I don't like to argue politics, so I usually just keep quiet when the topic comes up, but I have to admit, I really like Obama. I would even go so far as to say that I will almost surely vote for him this November. I understand that this goes against the belief that seems to be out there that a good Mormon should be republican. I also understand that I will be ostracized and possibly disowned for this. So, let me explain...

The first thing that drew me to Obama was the one thing that most anti-Obamans hate him for- his health care policy. Keep in mind that at this time I have a mother-in-law living with me who has no income, no health insurance and incredibly poor health. Her doctors wouldn't even consider evaluating her for a liver transplant until she had some sort of health care coverage. They simply told her she was going to die. Getting her on Medicaid and Social Security was nothing less than a small miracle. There were so many forms to fill out and hoops to jump through. There were times when I would make 7-8 phone calls to different departments, counties and states just to get one issue resolved. It is a joke and it really opened my eyes to how messed up our health care system really is. How wrong is it when a doctor has to tell a child's parents (who are completely able and willing to work) that they are better off quitting their low paying jobs and going on full welfare in order to receive benefits for their sick kid? This happens. With Obama's plan, it would not be a universal health care system like they have in Canada and other countries. He would simply create an insurance plan that anyone could buy into, regardless of pre-existing conditions. You don't have to, though. As a matter of fact, if you want to keep your insurance that you currently have, it will cost less. He promises low premiums, deductibles and co-pays. He plans on policing the insurance companies and make them lower their costs by cutting out waste. This would be subsidized by taxes, yes, but taxes from the rich. He plans on letting the Bush tax cuts expire for those making over $250, 000 a year. Yes, you could say that this is making government bigger and giving them more power, but who else has the power to go after these huge companies? As a man who watched his mom worry about her medical bills as she died from cancer, I believe that he understands more about the realities of the health care system than his opponents.

There are rumors that he plans on doubling taxes for everyone, reinstating the inheritance tax, instating capitol gains taxes, etc... Take a look at his website and you will find that he is looking to cut taxes for the lower and middle classes by at least $1000 and completely eliminate taxes for the elderly making less than $50,000.

Do I agree with everything that he stands for? No, but I agree with enough. I respect his decisions this far and feel that he has fought at least as fairly as McCain. In general, with his upbringing I feel that he is more in touch with the issues that I am facing in my life. I believe that he can and will bring change to Washington.

Having said that, I don't hate McCain, and I actually like Sarah Palin. And I will definitely re-think my position when I am making more than $250,000, although I am pretty sure that that is a long time from now. So, take it or leave it; I'm stepping down from my soap box. All I ask is that you do the research before you place your vote.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally respect your position Linda and I love talking about politics. We all have reasons why we support certain candidates whether it be personal, moral or social issues. Usually, the more government involvement results in less quality of care, more hassles and paperwork, etc. I feel that Obama is making a lot of empty promises, which most presidential candidates tend to do. In the beginning, I really liked Obama and even thought he would have my vote. Both candidates have their pros and cons and I finally had to base my decision on what was important to me at this time, moral issues. For other's it's health care, employment, etc. There is nothing wrong with voting for Obama and no one is going to judge you for that. I think it's great that you discuss it because it allows others (like me) to view it from another's point of view. Thanks!

Manda L. said...

Thanks for your honesty and insight!! I am always happy to hear someone is educating themselves and making informed choices. Thats all we can ask for :)

Unknown said...

Sarah's wrong. I'll be judging you for voting for Obama. We can't be friends anymore.

Just kidding.

I think it's interesting too to see what is important to people at different times in their lives.

It will be a very crazy voting day, that's for sure.

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

McCain is too old and he doesn't like Grizzly Bears!

NB