Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

He’s 7!!!

Where has my baby gone?!?  I say this every year, but I seriously can’t believe how the time has flown by.  It seems so recent that we just had this little one.  And now I’m pregnant with our last.  Where did the time go?  JCP6Carter has become such a little man. He keeps us on our toes and challenges me every day to be a better mom.  Without him, I might have been ok settling for mediocrity.  He definitely pushes me to be the best that I can be and to figure out how I can be better.  Here are some of my favorite things about him right now:

He goes to a German immersion school and he has picked up the language so well.  He doesn’t speak it much at home, but when I see him talking to his teacher at school, it kind of blows me away.  That little brain really is a sponge. 

He is very observant – sometimes too observant for his own good.  He often comes home telling us about things he saw or overheard that day.  I think he “overhears” a lot when he is pretending to be ignoring everyone. 

He thinks he is hilarious.  He is always making up jokes and laughing hysterically at them. 

He wants to grow up way too fast.  He feels that he should be treated as an adult and loves it when he is. 

He is pretty nerdy – still loves his Star Wars and Harry Potter.  He knows all the characters from both and all the spells from HP.  When he gets mad at Ben and Samantha he’ll bust out a spell on him.  We’ve had to make the  unforgivable ones off limits. 

These days, this is how he spends most of his time. I love that he loves to read, but getting him to do anything else is a challenge sometimes.  Who knew I would have to ground him from books?  He is almost done with the 7th Harry Potter book, hence the spells.  Mike is a little jealous of Carter’s speed reading skills .  DSC_0169Who knew the Harry Potter glasses would be so prophetic?  DSCN0629For his birthday I let Carter and Samantha skip school and we went out to the Original Pancake House for breakfast.  Denny’s had been his favorite up until this moment.  The blueberry pancakes knocked his socks off.  Blueberry and regular syrups?  Heaven.  DSC_0180The rest of us were pretty pleased with our French Toast.  DSC_0182Ben was just happy to have food in front of him.  DSC_0183Afterwards, Carter had the choice to go wherever he wanted.  Of course we ended up at Chuck E. Cheese’s.  In his defense, we went bowling the past 2 birthdays, so he has mixed it up a little.  I still feel like we spend way too much time and money there.  But… is was his day and his choice.  So Chuck E. Cheese’s it was.  And we all had a great time.  DSC_0184Present time!  More Star Wars, because that’s what we need in this house. DSC_0201What the heck?  Why would I need an iTunes gift card?  Weird.  DSC_0210Unless…DSC_0211It is!  Carter got his own iPod this year.   A very generous friend gave us her old one at a fabulous price.  Now Carter can leave ours alone!  DSC_0220And it didn’t take long… Like father, like son I guess.  DSC_0223

We’re so glad you picked our family Carter!  We love you and can’t imagine life without you!

3 comments:

vanessa said...

Love that baby pic with the glasses! Haha and I thought it was soo funny you had to ban the unforgivable curses! Haha! What a great reader he is to be reading the 7th book!

Kat said...

Shedding a tear! I too can't believe how fast time flies. I remember going to your wedding reception. Seems like just yesterday. Do you watch The Middle? You mention having to ground Carter from reading... the character in this show and Carter appear to be very similar. ;) Congrats on the baby boy!

Christine Chaplin said...

I remember the first time he met Uncle Jon! Jon was asleep and woke up to a bouncing baby in the bed. He was such a happy baby! This will sound so cliche, but time sure flies!!!