Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Will he ever be potty trained?!?

I swear, I have tried EVERYTHING!!! I am beyond frustrated with this kid. He has been potty trained at times, it will last about a week and then he will just stop. This has happened 3-4 times. I know he knows how to do it, he just won't. It's probably my fault--I wasn't consistent enough, I got upset when he had "accidents" (not at first, but come on, everyone has their breaking point), we started too early, I let it become a power struggle, I passed on my oppositional genes, whatever. Haven't I paid for my mistakes? Everyone else that I know of has been able to potty train their kids. He is 3 1/2 for crying out loud!!! We started potty training him a year ago!

Mike went to New York today for work. I thought it would be a nice surprise for Mike to come back to potty trained Carter. We have nothing planned, so I thought I would do that very last thing that I haven't tried - letting him run around naked. We decided that a spoonful of ice cream would be a great pee treat. He peed once in the toilet and then was done. After that, I would gently remind him to go potty for some more ice cream. But no, he would just wait until I walked away for a minute and then pee on the floor. After 2 of these "accidents" I asked him "do you want to use the potty, or just keep wearing diapers?". Of course, he just said diapers. I asked if he would ever be potty trained and he said "yeah, in about 3 months." I am seriously thinking that Samantha will be potty trained before Carter. She will be teaching him to use the toilet. How sad is that?

4 comments:

Angie Lewis said...

Wow Linda, this is one thing I am not looking forward to. I'm so sorry it's been so tough...let me know what trick ends up working for you so I can take note...GOOD LUCK!

Stewart Family said...

Sorry it has been so tough. Something else that I did was buy a bunch of little presents that he didn't see, wrap them and keep them in a bag. When he had 7 stickers on the chart he got to pick a present out of the bag. He really loves it. Now that he is really doing good, we have spaced out the presents more. Good luck!

Sarah said...

So many people are having potty training issues right now. I am so not looking forward to this step. Luckily I still have about a year before we start thinking about it. I heard, that with boys, to not even start trying until they are 3. You will have to keep us posted so all of us other moms know what to do when we hit this next step.

Sharlin said...

We used the thick trainer underwear (cloth diaper type fabric) and our youngest has learned more quickly than previous children with pull ups. I think the pull ups were too much like diapers. We did a lot of laundry at first, but the uncomfortableness of being wet, etc. has helped. This is my least favorite part of parenthood.