Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fishing with Grandpa

While I’m not a big fan of canoes in general (too many traumatic experiences, the worst being canoeing on a lake full of alligators in Florida) one of my favorite things when I was little was fishing.  And one of the best ways to fish is on a canoe.  Carter was determined to get us out on a canoe and in the end he won out.  We left much later than any serious fisher would approve of - I think we were finally on the lake by 10 or 11.  We went up to Payson Lakes.  The lake was really low and really green and since it was later in the season, we were pretty much the only ones there.  DSC_0639 DSC_0641 Carter caught the first fish of the day, and it ended up being the biggest.  He was so proud of himself.  Then Samantha caught one.  Then they got bored.  And hungry.  Luckily I brought along snacks.  Otherwise we would have been done then. After yelling at them to sit still about 100 times, 1 bag of Gummy bears, 2 boxes of raisins and a lunch break,  I think Carter and Samantha caught 5 total.  Poor Grandpa couldn’t get any fish hooked.   They would eat his bait, but he ended up with an empty hook every time.   Maybe next time.  DSC_0629Samantha and I got to wear the “Titanic life jackets” as my sister calls them.  This is probably the same one I wore when I was her age.  We totally rocked the orange.  DSC02393DSC_0649 In this picture Carter is holding up one of the fish.  Samantha was going to hold one too, until she felt it.  She dropped it pretty quick and settled for holding a part of the chain.  DSC_0655And at the end of the day, this is what we ended up with. DSC_0662 We had a great time and made some great memories!DSC_0631

0 comments: