Pages

Friday, March 28, 2008

So long...

I know it has been forever since I posted, but things have been crazy around here. Every day I think of something new that I want to blog about, and I just don't get to it. We had some friends over for Easter, so we were using that as a deadline to get some house projects done. We got a bathroom vanity installed and the office painted, some new office furniture assembled. I have pictures, but I am not at home right now to post them, so later on that....

Easter was so much fun. Carter is just starting to get the whole holiday thing and had a blast looking for Easter eggs. I have never seen a kid get so excited about a Pez dispenser. He was a bit disappointed when he found out that it didn't shoot out candy like he thought it would. He and Samantha both had colds, so they stayed with Mike at home for church. It was too bad, because our ward choir had a whole program and it was amazing. I am talking professional quality here. It was very nice. After church we had the 4th annual Easter dinner/egg toss. Our numbers have grown, so we had it at our place instead of at the Callisters. It was so much fun. I love having people over. Even though it is a lot of work, I love it. I would have people over all the time if my house wasn't completely torn apart half the time with our projects. The food was awesome, especially the dessert, homemade eclairs and strawberry shortcake. yum! I really had high hopes for the egg toss this year (you would think that after 4 years of hearing "soft hands!" I would get it), but our egg cracked on the 3rd toss and broke completely when I missed Mike and hit the O'Neill's car (oops!). Mike and Jessica Spencer won for the second year in a row. I guess we'll have to practice more for next year.

The big news as of late has been Mike's mom. She has been sick for a long time, she has Hepatitis C and is in serious need of a liver transplant. We talked to her on Sunday and she said that she needed to go to the hospital but didn't want to. We tried to talk her into going, and by that night she was slipping into a coma and she was taken to the hospital (this isn't new--her liver is shot and when the toxins build up in her brain this happens). Anyways, Monday we received a call saying that she wasn't waking up to eat, drink or take her medicine and she would probably die within a few days. We have always known that this would happen one day, but this really caught us all off guard and we were devastated. By Tuesday she still wasn't awake, and we were told that if we got here by Thursday it may be too late. So we packed up the kids and drove through the night to get here (to Denver) Wednesday morning. We went straight to the hospital where miraculously she had woken up. She still looked terrible and was very confused, but at least she was eating and taking her meds. By yesterday she was alert and talking with everyone and she was discharged today from the hospital. What a releif! She is still very sick, but her parents are staying with her up here and are planning on staying here and taking care of her. I put absolutely nothing past this woman, she is one tough cookie!

So anyways, here we are in Denver at an impromptu family reunion. We are now just trying to get her house in order so she can move back into it with her parents (she has been renting it out to some shady people). We are heading back Sunday and should be home sometime Monday. More then!

2 comments:

Stewart Family said...

Sorry about Mike's Mom. I am glad that you guys are able to be out there with his family.

Sarah L. said...

I hope Mike's mom is ok still. Sounds like you all have been way busy. Hang in there. I hope the drive home ok with the kids. Be happy.