Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

You have been accepted…

To Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!  Carter has a small obsession with Harry Potter so we went with the Harry Potter theme for his eighth birthday. I have to say that is was a challenge to get it all together, but I think the kids had a blast and Carter loved it.  The kids got their acceptance letters as invitations. 

I had a little backdrop set up to take pictures as the kids were coming, but it didn’t quite work out as I had hoped.  I got some of Ben, who can’t stay away from the camera, and a few of Carter.  Because I haven’t asked anyone’s parents, I won’t post any of Carter’s friend’s pictures.  You’ll just have to believe that they were there SmileDSC_0628DSC_0658I was most impressed by the spread.  The kids got to go to Honeyduke’s afterwards to stock up on treats for the movie (we watched HP #1 at the end of the party) and to take home.  There were edible wands, chocolate frogs, jelly slugs, acid pops, gillyweed seeds, hippogriff tounges, Bertie Bott’s every flavor beans, Mandrake puffs and cauldron cakes.  DSC_0656DSC_0640DSC_0646DSC_0644We supplied the magic wands and phoenix tears. The phoenix tears were mixed with goblin crystals (ice) in cups that had food coloring dried in the bottom of them to make a healing potion.  DSC_0641Then we used another form of goblin crystals (dry ice) to make another potion.  We poured hippogriff saliva (bubble solution) over it and it went crazy!  DSC_0683Carter took his magic very seriously.  He taught his friends some of the most important spells, which were used to defeat the dementor that got loose in the house (Mike in costume).  I’m not one to toot my own horn, but it was a pretty awesome party.  DSC_0687As another part of his gift, we rearranged Carter’s room and made a little reading nook.  Samantha got him a bean bag for it.  He really liked it.  As was evidenced by the bulging eyeballs and flaring nostrils.  He’s telling me to delete this picture as I’m typing. DSC_0649Ben gave him the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid which he finished the next day.  DSC_0655

Overall, I think he had a pretty great day.  One day he will appreciate all the work that went into that one great day!

2 comments:

Patten Family said...

Look at you go momma! I don't know how you do all you do with four kids. I am so not creative - so I just try to go for the things my kids will always remember at the parties, not so much the theme. Maybe in my next life I will be talented! I wish I could have come to the party as I love HP! Hope you are well:)

Linda said...

Sarah - I attribute it all to pinterest and the internet. I have very few original creative ideas.